Lesson Plan. 10-B Form
Subject: Food and Health.
Objectives: to revise the vocabulary to practice and develop communicative skills to bring up the desire to live healthy life Aids and teaching materials: handouts, vieo,quotations.
I. The beginning
2. Warming up
/Read quotations. Choose one and comment it. /
Quotations about food
1. Dear stomach, you are bored, not hungry. So, shut up.
2. Food is essential for life: therefore make it good.
3. Hun-gry (adj.) – a state of anger caused de lack of food, hunger causing a negative change in emotional state.
4. You are what you eat, so DON’T be fast, cheap, easy or fake.
5. I am on a seafood diet. I see food and I eat it.
6. Good food is a good mood.
7. A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle.
3. Subject and objectives presentation
/ students expectations: we will talk about food and health; we will do exercises; we will watch video and discuss it; we will become more confident about our eating habits and healthy life style./
II. Material Presentation
a) obesity – carrying too much fat
b) overweight – carrying much fat
c) stroke – health disorder such as heart attack etc.
d) diabetes – high sugar level in the person’s blood
e) portion size – the amount of food we have on the plate
2. Pre-viewing activity
/As you see from our vocabulary, we are going to discuss the urgent question of our generation: being obese or overweight. What is BMI? How can we know if we are fit or not? Is it important to have a proper body mass? What problems can we have with BMI? You should find the answers to these questions in the video and while reading definitions. /
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI can be used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems but it is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual.
BMI=mass : (height x height)
What is Anorexia?
Anorexia is a psychological and possibly life-threatening eating disorder defined by an extremely low body weight relative to stature (this is called BMI [Body Mass Index] and is a function of an individual’s height and weight), extreme and needless weight loss, illogical fear of weight gain, and distorted perception of self-image and body
Both of them are disorders and problems with our health
Watch the interview with Ania Lchtarowitz, BBC Health Reporter, and identify the danger of obesity (D) and its prevention measures (P).
Fight Obesity Chart
Calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI). If you are a person with BMI of more than 30, you are close to obese.
1. This chronic condition can lead to Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and stroke.
2. Obesity can be prevented with a healthy lifestyle.
3. Eating less salty, sugary and fatty food is very important.
4. Increase physical activity.
5. Decrease portion size.
/ Watching the video/
Answer the questions;
1. What is the difference between being overweight and obese?
2. Why is obesity such a problem?
3. Is the problem getting worse?
4. Are there special organizations in the world to prevent obesity?
5. Is this a problem only in the western world?
6. Can obesity be prevented?
7. What is being done to improve the situation?
What was the video about?
What have you learnt?
Is it important to have healthy diet?
What are the benefits of healthy lifestyle?
Will you try to keep healthy lifestyle?
1. Calculate your BMI.
2. In groups, make a list of products you eat on a daily basis and decide if you need to cut on sugar, salt or fat.
3. Design a slogan for your school canteen to fight obesity.
III. The end
1. At home find more information about our topic in the Internet and report about your findings and healthy eating habits to the class.
Do you like our activities at the lesson?
Which of them was the most interesting?
What can you wish your classmates?
Навчальний посібник з англійської мови та літератури «Word on the Street»
Л.В. Калініна, І.В. Самойлюкевич, (частина ІІ), Київ. Видавець О.Т. Ростунов 2012.
Відео-фрагмент ресурсу British Council, Episode 9, Big Meal, Seat on the Street, Scene 5: Obesity
А. Несвіт, Київ, « Генеза», 2010